Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Help Patpat's Hats

I did a little bit of knitting last night and need to find a better way to knit on the straight loom.  If I hold it parallel to my body it comes out nice but goes SOOO slow.  If I hold it perpendicular, it gets a wavy look to it and I don't think it looks good.  If anyone has any suggestion I'm open to trying something new.  I haven't been able to make a hat in a month or two and I feel like I haven't done anything to help (I have a pile of them that I need to send in) out with PatPat's Hats.

Anyone looking for something to knit and would like to help children in the hospital battling cancer; check out PatPat's Hats. Click here to go to their facebook page, or here to visit their webpage.  They are just over a year old and have received hats to equal out to at least one for each day of their existence, if not two.  While they have received a lot of hats, there are more children with cancer than we think, and more unfortunately being diagnosed each day.

Patrick (affectionately known as PatPat) was diagnosed with cancer at age 2, only a few months before he turned 3.  His Aunt Betsy is a very avid knitter and made him quite a few hats while he was in the hospital to keep his head warm while he received chemotherapy.  This was when Aunt Betsy got the idea for PatPat's Hats.  They accept new, unused, handmade, knit, crocheted, or store bought hats for preemies, infants, toddlers, children, preteens, and teens.  They donate them to the local cancer treatment centers to hand out the hats to patients.

While Pat may not be immediately related to me (He is my mom's brother, Keith's wife, Debbie's sister, Katie's daughter, Becca's son) he is still my little cousin.  Keith and Debbie invite both family sides when they host holiday parties or celebrations.  I have grown up referring to Debbie's sibling as my aunt's and uncles, her niece's and nephews as my cousins, we are one big, integrated family.

Every hat helps.

Happy knitting! 

1 comment: